Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Just a Couple of Thoughts

First of all, how AWESOME was that USWNT game versus MexWNT game tonight?! Syd "The Kid" Leroux with 4 goals! Beauty. Wambach, Buehler, and Morgan Brian (with her first career international tally) each found the twine. 7-0.

Tonight's game was held at RFK Stadium in our nation's capital, my hometown. If you recall, my first 20 Questions interview was with a promising young keeper from the DC Metropolitan area. She's currently on Maryland's Olympic Development Team. Tonight, during the game, Briana Bagley had goalkeeper training. She was asked why she wasn't at the USWNT game tonight. Her response, "I could watch and dream to be as good as those ladies or I could be out here training to be the best I can be." Future USWNT Keeper, Briana Bagley everyone.

Other things that were awesome about the game: Morgan Brian netted her first international goal while wearing her second cap. That was absolutely awesome, but how about the Lady Cavaliers from UVA making the trip to cheer on their teammate? Women's soccer fans are so passionate. I love it. The cut to Brian's team after her goal was incredible. Every member of the team is going nuts for Brian.

Also, it was really kind of cool to see Yael Averbuch on the pitch tonight. She had some really great feeds and long balls to Abby and Syd. She was also unleashing her long shot bombs on Mexico's keeper. They may not have worked the keeper much, but they did force her to stay honest and on her line opening up more pitch for the forwards.

To sum it, Tom Sermanni: if you haven't ventured in Maryland to look at 12 y/o Briana Bagley, you're missing out on your next big goal tender. Sydney Leroux, if you're reading this, I want to do a 20 Questions segment with you, email me.

I know I've been slacking on the 20 Questions, but Christen Press sits down with Following Football this Thursday. I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment