Thursday, August 8, 2013

20 Questions with Julianne Sitch, Chicago Red Stars


Like so many players in the NWSL, the name Julianne Sitch gets overshadowed by the bright lights on the international players like Morgan, Leroux, Sesselmann, Solo, Sinclair, etc. This is something Following Football would like to rectify. 

First off, let's list the teams that she's played for (it's a distinguished list): US U21 and US U19, Depaul Blue Demons, Chicago Cobras, Hampton Roads Piranhas, Bälinge IF, Chicago Gaels, FC Indiana, Sky Blue FC, Melbourne Victory, Western New York Flash, Atlanta Beat, Hammarby IF, and the Chicago Red Stars. As a member of the US U21 squad, Sitch won the Nordic Cup in 2003. She and current Chicago teammate Lori Chalupny shepherded Hammarby IF to the Damallsvenskan (top tier women's league in Sweden) in the 2012 season. As a member of the Melbourne Victory, Sitch was voted team MVP. Julianne finished her college career at De Paul University as the school's all-time leading scorer.

Sitch was born in Oswego, Illinois, and as a member of the Chicago Red Stars, she's representing her hometown team. She's proud to wear the Red Stars jersey, and when she signed with Red Stars in 2010 she said, "I am very happy to be coming home to chicago to continue my playing career. I've always dreamt about playing in my hometown, where all of my family and friends-who have supported me throughout my career-can come and watch. I love Chicago. I love Toyota Park and the energy it brings to the game. I couldn't be more happy." She even has her own fan club made up of family and family friends. Name another player, in any league, that has his or her own fan club that has a fire truck.

To be honest, I can't think of anything negative to say about this amazing player, except maybe her response to question number 15 (Chelsea, really?). Ladies and gentlemen, Chicago Red Stars midfielder/forward, my favorite number 19 wearer (except for Danny Welbeck), Julianne Sitch:

1. You’ve been a bit of a globetrotter; what was your favorite city to play in?

Definitely Chicago! Nothing beats playing at home in front of my family and friends. I love that my dad can come to half of the games in a season. 

2. Which country do you think embraces the women’s game the most? Why do you think that is?

I do believe that the US Women’s National team has a great following, which I love seeing for our country. I also think that other European countries follow the women’s game more as a whole because soccer is their sport over there. They grow up playing soccer. Where as here, we grow up playing multiple sports and sometimes soccer never being one of them. 

3. After soccer, where is your career path headed?

Towards helping younger athletes in soccer, speed, agility, strength and conditioning and even nutrition. I love working with children helping them set goals, accomplish their goals and I want to be a part of it all. 

4. You were a Blue Demon in college, and after your late goal against Seattle, some fans would say you’re a Blue Demon, or a light Blue Demon, again. How big was that goal in the scope of your goal-scoring career?

That goal gave us an important point. But I would have to say that Alyssa Mautz’s goals were way more important than mine. She brought life back to our team/game and season! 



QUICK FIRE QUESTIONS:


5. Favorite movie?
Two Weeks Notice

6. Favorite color?

Neon orange

7. Favorite food?

Chips, salsa and quac 

8. Favorite type of car?
Jeep wrangler 

9. Favorite TV show?

Modern Family 

10. Sugar, Sweet n Low, or Equal?

Sugar 

11. There’s only one flavor of ice cream, and it is: mint chocolate chip.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program:

12. Who is the biggest prankster on the Red Stars squad?

Not quite sure, but you can easily prank Leslie [Osborne], Jen [Hoy], or Michelle [Wenino]! 

13. The Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup for the 2013 season; being a longtime Chicagoan, what was it like to see the ‘Hawks lift the trophy again?

Absolutely amazing. I’ve become a huge Blackhawks fan over the years and I experienced the last Stanley Cup festivities and it’s just a really neat thing to be a part of. 

14. You hold DePaul’s record for goals and assists. What’s it like to hold such an honor?

It’s pretty neat, but I give all the credit to Erin Walter- with out her passing me the ball I wouldn’t have that honor. (She holds the single season assist record!) 

15. There’s only one right answer to this question, Manchester United or Manchester City?

Chelsea?!!!   Haha I guess Manchester United 

16. What soccer player did you look up to as you came through the soccer ranks? 

Marci Miller and Kristine Lilly. Chris Armos was a huge one for me as well. 

17. If you had to hang up your boots, what sport would go pro in?

Triathlons 

18. What’s on your iPod playlist right now?

Pitch Perfect soundtrack 

19. What’s your best advice for young footballers?

Dream Big. Don’t let anyone tell you you can’t do it. Work hard, have a positive attitude and good things will come. When tough times come, always remember the only thing you can change is your attitude! HAVE FUN!!! 

20. If you could sit down and pick the brain of any person, alive or dead, who would it be and why?

Sandra Bullock. I don’t necessarily want to pick her brain, but I want to have coffee with her. I think she’s cool and I’m pretty sure we’d be best friends if we met! 


I've thoroughly enjoyed sitting down and chatting with Julianne Sitch for 20 Questions. Each 20 Questions interview reminds me that these professionals are just regular folks that play a game for a living. Find a job you love doing and you'll never work a day in your life so says the saying. Julianne Sitch shows us how to accomplish that goal, and that's by working hard at what you love. 

Coming soon to 20 Questions: USWNT veteran Michelle Akers, USWNT and Chicago Red Stars midfielder Leslie Osborne, CanWNT and Seattle Reign midfielder Kaylyn Kyle, and Chicago Red Stars forward Adrianna Leon. 

On a very personal note, I'd like to thank the Chicago Red Stars and Shannon Boxx for their efforts to raise Lupus Awareness. It's a nasty disease that has affected me twice. 


I do not claim any photography rights. Rights remain those of the sites downloaded from. All [sic] as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment