Thursday, July 11, 2013

20 Questions with Lianne Sanderson



Just when I thought Lianne Sanderson couldn’t shine any brighter in my eyes, she participates in my weekly 20 Questions. She currently leads the league in assists, and she was named player of the week by the NWSL for week seven. Sanderson became the third Boston Breaker to earn the title. She’s earned Player of the Match honors in the 2006 FA Women’s Cup Final. She’s been a globetrotter- playing club football in England, Spain, and the United States. The 25-year-old Sanderson has worn the club jersey of Arsenal, Chelsea, RCD Espanyol, Philadelphia Independence, DC United, and the Boston Breakers. Her team honors include one UEFA Women’s Cup, two FA Women’s Premier League Cups, two FA Women’s Community Shields, four FA Women’s Cups, and five FA Women’s Premier League National Division titles. She has also pulled on the jersey of the Three Lions-tallying eight international goals for England. Sanderson and her partner, Joanna Lohman, started JoLi Academy to bring the beautiful game to under privileged girls all over the globe. Ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to present 20 Questions with Nike Athlete Lianne Sanderson:

1. What/who was your inspiration for playing football?


I believe football is in my blood, ever since a baby I was going to my dads and brothers games. My mum loves football; my whole family is football obsessed. Nothing else was ever in the equation for me other than being a professional soccer player, even though there wasn't a professional league, and girls playing was unheard of nothing was ever going to stop me, and I was lucky enough to come from a very supportive family.

2. You’ve played international and club football, which do you prefer and why?

I will always treasure playing in the World Cup in China all be it a cameo role, I will always be honored to represent my country but all of my best moments and where I feel I am allowed to be myself has come from playing with a club, especially a club like Arsenal where I played from the age of 9-20. Now at Boston, I also have an organization like I had in Philly where I am allowed to be me and that's the most important thing for me. If I feel happy, I will play better like any player.

3. You spent a decade playing football for Arsenal; you led the team in scoring the year they brought home four pieces of silverware. What’s it like to accomplish such a feat, one that’s never been accomplished by any other club, male or female?

Winning the quadruple will always be the best moment of my career and to be in such an incredible and talented team I consider myself very lucky to of played for Arsenal for 11 years. When I think back to how I felt when the final whistle went when we won the champions league I get teary eyed, I can remember it like it was yesterday. It was the most incredible feeling to be part of that team and play such a pivotal role at such a young age.


4. You’re also an avid Manchester United fan; how did that work out playing for Arsenal all those years?

I believe I was born to support United, in all honesty supporting Arsenal would of been so much easier and more fun in the sense that I would of been playing for the team I grew up supporting, meeting the players, training and interacting at the training ground with the players. But I could never change; I loved Man United and was obsessed with them from the age of 5. I think at first Vic Akers, my dad everyone tried to change me and sway me but as soon as they saw how die-hard I was they understood and it was and still is banter. I wore a Manchester United Kit to Highbury- Arsenals old stadium- for my 1st trial; no one could believe it.

5. You’re currently leading the league in assists, what do you think is the secret to your success in feeding your teammates playable balls?


I don't think there is a secret formula, but I think it comes from knowledge and understanding for them game from growing up in England. I know I always try and think 2 or 3 steps ahead of play and that helps. I have also worked hard on my game and fitness in the off-season. I believe in every pass being of quality there is no room for mistakes in my own game, I am a perfectionist. An example is season when I got 3 assists and player of the week. I didn't really think I had my best overall game as strange as that sounds. I said that to my dad after when people where saying great game, I kept thinking what I could of done better. But I will help my team in any way I can. I would rather us be top of the league than me being top of assists any day.

6. What would we find on your iPod’s playlist while on the bus between cities?

Beyonce, Rihanna, Drake, Rick Ross, Florence and the Machine. I have a tendency to kill songs and repeat them much to the annoyance of my teammates, haha.

7. You’ve played for teams all over the globe: England, Spain, and the US. What country embraces the women’s game the most?

I think definitely America followed by England for the women's game. The crowds, fans and facilities are of a very high standard. I feel like a true professional when I am in America more so then anywhere else.

8. When it comes to ice cream, there’s only one flavor, and it is?

Ben and Jerry's cookie dough.

9. What’s it like to bring the beautiful game to underprivileged girls all over the globe through the JoLi Academy?


It's such an amazing thing and feeling. At times it is challenging going to countries where being a female and athletic is not considered a good thing. The girls and kids are wonderful, and seeing there smiles makes everything so worthwhile. It’s something Joanna and I are very passionate about and we are planning our next trip as I write this. The support we get from JoLi fans is phenomenal and we can't thank people enough for there support.

10. You’ve notched one goal so far this season as a Boston Breaker. What was it like to finally get that monkey off your back?

Not really, I never really felt like Torres, ha, but I was happy with how I was, and I was having an impact on my team; that's the main thing. I still want to score more goals and get into more attacking areas but the main thing is that we win.

11. Most of the Breakers team was near the Boston Marathon blast, how has the city healed from the attacks? It was such a terrible thing that happened and to be very close to it was very traumatic for everybody involved. Luckily all of our team and staff members were safe but my thoughts are with the victims and there families. But the way the city came and has come together is absolutely remarkable and to see the togetherness with my own eyes and to feel it is a Moment I will never forget. This city is Strong; we are Boston Strong.


12. Who were your influences growing up as a young footballer? 

My family have been the biggest influence on my career, their support was and still is incredible especially my mum and dad. Biggest football influences were and still are Eric Cantona, Denis Bergkamp, David Beckham and Cristiano Ronaldo. I was so lucky to get to see my favorite players live on many occasions, you can't beat watching the world's greatest players live.

13. What’s your favorite movie?

Jerry Maguire, Pretty Woman, and The Bodyguard.

14. What do you miss most about living away from the UK?

My family and friends of course. But mostly some foods, especially a full English Breakfast, and Pie, Mash and Liquor.(which is not alcohol just so you know), and chocolate buttons.

15. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be and why?

My patience

16. What’s your favorite book?

Simon Cowell's book and Gary Neville's book. I am not a massive reader, but I felt like I can relate to these books, and I love reading autobiographies.

17. What’s your favorite TV show?

Match of the Day, Sky Sports News. I also am obsessed with documentaries and prison shows on Netflix.

18. Who’s the biggest prankster on the Breakers squad?

Probably Mariah Noguiera. She's always bubbly.

19. Turf or Grass?

Grass

20. What piece of advice would you give to up and coming footballers, male and female?

Set goals and know exactly what it is you want to do. Get plenty of touches on the ball. Be disciplined and never let anyone or anything come between you and your end goal. Surround yourself with people that are positive influences.

(All sic as needed)

I can’t thank Lianne Sanderson enough for participating in the weekly 20 Questions segment of Following Football. She is the first celebrity I’ve had the privilege of interviewing, and she is a consummate professional athlete. The Boston Breakers are lucky to have her in the midfield. As a shareholder of Manchester United, Lianne wearing a Man United kit to an Arsenal try-out -IN HIGHBURY- is the gutsiest thing I’ve heard of in English football. Check out the Boston Breakers next game on Saturday July 13, 2013 at 7pm EDT against Sky Blue FC! Sanderson will be sporting number 10 in the midfield, and given she leads the league in assists, the number 10 is more than appropriate.

Keep checking back with Following Football for more articles on the beautiful game. Coming soon to 20 Questions, USWNT midfielder Yael Averbuch, and the person who me on the path to soccer, my dad. 20 Questions are posted every Thursday.



Photo rights remain the property of the site they were downloaded from; I do not claim rights to any photographs.








No comments:

Post a Comment