Thursday, July 18, 2013

20 Questions with Ed McMahan, Jr


This week I’d like to introduce you to my hero. This man brought me to the game of soccer as a coach, as a fan, and as a father. He’s the father of eight children. He’s grandfather to 11. He’s driven all over Prince George’s County, Maryland as a coach and the state as a referee. Currently, he’s traversing the Wisconsin countryside as a referee. In both Maryland and Wisconsin, he’s touched lives through the fire department, all as a volunteer.

Edward McMahan, Jr. has won a myriad of accolades: elected to the Prince George’s County Fire Volunteer Fire and Rescue Association’s Hall of Fame in 1998. He was named Firefighter of the Year by the Columbia DC Moose Lodge #126 and was recognized as one of the 2003 Volunteers of the Year by the Prince George’s Volunteer Center; he’s had a day designated as Edward McMahan, Jr. day by the Maryland legislature.

My father, to me, was a jack-of-all-trades and master of all. Ladies and gentlemen, my hero, my father, Ed McMahan:

1.     How did you get involved in the beautiful game of soccer?

I was introduced to soccer in Junior High School by my PE teacher Wayne Rinick.  He said I had the speed and quickness for soccer.  That Gym class started me on my path with soccer.

2.     You’ve played, coached, and refereed soccer, which is your favorite? 

None actually, because each one was a path to the other.  Playing was fun because I first played on a coed 35 year and up team.  So it was not competitive, thank goodness.  Coaching was great, My wife and I coached together. Refereeing was a bit more challenging because of the levels of play.  I might lean more on refereeing as favorite because it was very rewarding and I continued to grow with every match.

3.     One of the teams you coached went undefeated and un-scored-upon, what do you attribute this amazing accomplishment to?

I started with the girls when they were young and we kept learning together.  We were a good team but not that good.  I tried to persuade the Boy's and Girl's club we were affiliated with to let the team move to a more competitive league but the club was more interested in trophies (my opinion) and the parents did not want to travel some of the distances we would have to travel.

4      You’ve refereed 5 year olds, teenagers, and college kids, what’s your favorite age group to referee and why?
My favorite group [is] the 12 year olds. I could see the players who are catching on about the "TEAM."  Now that the USSF has reduced the number of players for that age group and below, the players are getting more touches and enjoying the game.
5.     When you played soccer, what position did you play?
I played mostly midfield, some as striker.

6.    You’re the father of 8 kids; did all of them play soccer?

No.  Seven did.

7.     During one game, your goaltender received a yellow card for pulling out a lawn chair and sitting down during a game; what did you say to her afterwards?

Actually she did not pull out a lawn chair, she just sat down. Just to keep her in the game, we had her take any free kick in her half the pitch and sometimes corner kicks.  She had to sprint back to her goal; she didn't sit down after that.  It was a good card by the Ref.

8.     What is your favorite soccer league to watch?

NWSL first and a very close second to the EPL.

9.     What’s for dinner tonight?

Dinner is too far away right now to think about.

10.   You’ve been known to be a chocolate connoisseur, what’s your favorite brand of chocolate? 

Been is the correct term; my stomach is the guide to that: the simpler the better.  Most chocolates are too rich for me now.

11.  Who do you consider to be a hero, and why?

I think hero is an over used term.  The real heroes are the people you never hear about.  They go to work every day, they provide for their family, not just financially. Having been in the fire service for 38 years now I can tell you when we leave a fire scene, a crash site, deaths of all sorts, the real heroes are left behind.  They are the ones who pick up the pieces and go on.  They are the ones that hold a family together. Our military, Fire Fighters, EMS personnel, Law enforcement officers, and others who put their life on the line everyday, they deserve the respect, our thank yous and should be held special in ours lives.  Ask them if they are heroes, none of them will say yes, they would say we are just doing our job.  and of course I have a special place in my heart for Nurses.  

12.  Other than soccer, what sports and sports teams do you follow?

Don't really follow any, just enough to stay in the conversation.

13.  Most of your children have gone into public safety careers; do you think that is a direct result of you being a firefighter for over 40 years? 

I think one could draw that conclusion, but I believe it has more to do with helping others.  My choice was Fire Fighting. But having coached children through sports, hours and hours of volunteer work with the Boy's and Girl's Club, and just caring about people is the real concept.  Even today, Matt is operating a kennel in VA. 

14.   You worked as an electrician, volunteered as a firefighter, coached soccer, and refereed soccer; which of these jobs were your favorite and why?

My paid profession was a Relay Tester until I was promoted to a Supervisory position. I have always wanted to be a Fire Fighter for as long as I can remember so I guess Fire Fighter is number one.

15.  There’s only one flavor for ice cream and it is?

That would be chocolate chip.

16.  What’s on the radio in your car right now?

The dashboard.  I usually play CD's , bluegrass of course, but ESPN is the main channel when I am listening to the radio.

17.   What is your favorite book?

The Seven-Per-Cent Solution

18.  What is your favorite TV show?

My favorite station is RFD TV.  I do like the BBC shows such as Downton Abby and Upstairs Downstairs. I do like the Game of Thrones. 

19.  What’s your favorite movie?

Animal House

20.  What is your best piece of advice for new referees about to take control of the pitch? 

Appearance and [professionalism] is everything.  I always dressed in full uniform and was on time. One cold and rainy afternoon on the pitch I was doing a line in a 14-year-old boys match, the weather was miserable at best. About 18 months later in the ER with my wife, the cardiac surgeon came in and said he recognized me from somewhere. Alice answered him and said I refereed soccer.  He said yes! That is where I remember you; you were the only Referee professionally dressed on that miserable day.  That was the greatest compliment I have ever received.  So, youngsters, people do notice.


My dad is a pretty awesome guy. He's a firefighter, a referee, a dad, and a friend. We still collaborate on referees, games, and outcomes after big games (sometimes during). We usually send texts back and forth about this play or that play, this call or that non-call. He's my goto guy when I have a question about the laws of soccer. He's my goto guy when I have a question about life. My father put me on the path to soccer, and I'm ever so grateful that he did.

Keep checking back with Following Football for more 20 Questions featuring USWNT Midfielder Yael Averbuch and a few of the Chicago Red Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment