Thursday, June 6, 2013

Ranking my Favorite Football Leagues and Teams

Well, I'd first like to start off by welcoming you all to my new blog, Following Football. By football, I mean real football, the football the rest of the world plays, not the silly run-for-five-seconds-and-get-tackled-by-a-bunch-of-people football that's played here in the United States. The rest of the world gets it right. Anyway, on to the story.

I'm an American that was born and raised in the DC area all of my life. Currently I reside in Miami. I played soccer all my childhood life. Around high school age, I realized that I was too small and not really that good at playing the game. So I began refereeing. I was still on the pitch, I was having a blast, and I was getting paid.

I adore the sport, the beauty of the ballet of movement on the pitch, and the power and skill it takes to bend a ball like Beckham, or for you youngin's, Gareth Bale.

These are my favorite leagues, teams, and why:

  1. Barclay's Premier League: This is my favorite league because it was the first league that was heavily televised, and the more I watch it, the more I realize that it may just be the best league in the world. My favorite squad is easily the Red Devils. Manchester United is the first team I remember seeing on TV when I was young. Sir Alex Ferguson is just plain legendary. I think he should be Knighted again. Both my wife and I own a share of the club when the Glazer family went public with the club.
  2. The National Women's Soccer League: This is my favorite league in the United States. I think the women of the NWSL put a better soccer product on the pitch than most of the MLS clubs. My favorite team is easily the Boston Breakers. The Breakers take the number one spot over the DC Spirit because it has my favorite national team player, Sydney Leroux. I love to watch Leroux run with the ball at her feet. It's just amazing to see her run even faster pushing that Nike ball around. I've also become very fond of England National Team player Lianne Sanderson. Sanderson played for DC United's women's club and the Arsenal Ladies club. As a member of Arsenal, she was part of the Quadruple Trophy season. My first NWSL jersey will be a Breakers #10 jersey; it should arrive in a few days. 
  3. Major League Soccer: MLS is becoming bigger everyday. I think one of the biggest problems with the MLS is the teams are either really good like NY Red Bulls, Dallas, Portland, etc., while others are really bad, like my favorite team, DC United. However, often, an MLS game looks like an upgraded wrestling match. You know the saying, I went to a boxing match and a hockey game broke out? Sometimes that's how I feel watching an MLS game. But I was unbelievably excited when DC United started. I was a proud member of the black eagles. Now, living in Miami, it's much harder to be a DCU fan. I'm happy with the Fort Lauderdale Strikers, but I'd be happier if Sir David Beckham builds his MLS club here in the Magic City. 
  4. UEFA Champions League: It's fun to see the best of Europe face off for the title of the best club in Europe. Man U holds that favorite spot, too. 
Well, typing this has run a little long, I've missed the first ten minutes of the Portland game.

Check back often for more information about following futbol.

No comments:

Post a Comment