Friday, June 28, 2013

20 Questions with Briana Bagley


Following football is proud to introduce a new segment: 20 Questions. Each week following football will introduce you to someone that is involved with soccer in some way. Some of the people that will be interviewed you’ll know, some you don’t know yet but will be a future star, and some of the people that are just fans, casual players, or referees.

So let’s roll out the first set of 20 questions:

The first interviewee is a promising young soccer player from Maryland. She comes from a long line of soccer players including a relative that just retired as a referee in the Barclay’s Premier League. This young lady was selected to be a part of Maryland’s Olympic Development Program two years ago. I could go on about her, but let’s let her introduce herself to you in her words: ladies and gentlemen, Miss Brianna Bagley:


1.) Brianna, what was your inspiration to start playing soccer and how old were you when you started?

A. I was born with soccer in my blood. My great grandfather is from England and played semi-professional soccer. My dad grew up playing and started coaching my brother. I started dribbling a soccer ball as soon as I could walk. I started playing on my first team when I was 3.

2.) You've been playing goalkeeper for most of your soccer career, how did you end up guarding the goal? I heard a rumor about hitching up a skirt?

A. My dad couldn't find anyone brave enough to play goalkeeper. I begged and begged to play, but my Dad wanted me to be a goal scorer. My Mom talked him into letting me try it, and I was awesome.  Recently, my Dad and I were talking about the season when I scored 27 goals. My Dad said, "That's my fault for making you a goalkeeper", I said "It's not my fault everybody else was too scared to play, I had to hike up my skirt and do it"

3.) You do a lot of traveling in the Mid-Atlantic area, what do you do on the
long road trips to pass the time?

A. I usually read, sleep, or listen to music.

4.) If you're not playing goalkeeper and are on the pitch, what position do you
like to play, and why?

A. I usually play offense, so that I can get a chance to score goals.

5.) Do you have more than one favorite professional club? Who are they and why?

A. I cheer for DC United and Washington Spirit. They are my favorite because they are close by and my hometown teams.

6.) A question that always annoys parent's of girls, is there a special
fella in your life?

A. There's only one special guy in my life and that's my Daddy.

7.) Given the choice of free tickets to 1 Direction, Justin Bieber, Taylor
Swift, or Hunter Hayes, who would you choose?

A. Hunter Hayes

8.) Who do you consider your heroes and why?

A. My parents. They are always there for me when I need something. They also help others and save lives.

9.) Your brother is a tremendous soccer player as well, who do you think is
better, you or him?

A. Since its [sic] my interview I'm going to say me! But, Bryce has taught me a lot about soccer and lots of moves.


10.) Other than soccer, what sports do you enjoy watching?

A. Olympics swimming and gymnastics, and hockey, but only when the Capitals are playing.

11.) Other than soccer, what sports do you enjoy playing?

A. None really. I do like to swim for fun.

12.) What do you like to do for fun?

A. Swim, play with my cousin, camping, watch movies, play with my new kittens.

13.) What's your favorite movie?

A. Pitch Perfect

14.) Who is your favorite soccer player and why?

A. Hope Solo, she is my role model because the way she plays and she inspires me to play better. She has been through a lot of challenges in her life and career and I can relate to her.

15.) If you were to get drafted by the NWSL, which team would you want to play
for?

A. The Washington Spirit. It’s close to home and all my friends and family could watch me play.

16.) Any pets?

A. I have two new kittens, Zoe and Joey. A hamster named Cookie. A ball python snake name Dude. A German Shepherd named Olaf.

17.) What do your parents do for a living?

A. My Mom is a Firefighter/Emergency Medical Technician and is about to become a Paramedic. My Dad is police officer. They both are volunteer firefighters and emergency medical technicians.

18.) When it comes to ice cream, there's only one flavor and it is?

A. Fudge Brownie

19.) What's your favorite book and TV show?


A. Favorite book would have to be Red Kayak. My favorite TV show is anything on the Disney Channel (Good Luck Charlie, Dog with the Blog, Austin and Ally, Shake it Up)

20.) If the US Women's National Team played the US Men's National Team in a match, who do you think would win?

A. The women! The men get knocked down and cry like little babies.

I hope you enjoyed reading the story of Brianna Bagley, Goalkeeper, Maryland Olympic Development Program. Stay tuned for future interviews including NWSL Boston Breakers star midfielder, Lianne Sanderson.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for requesting Bri for your first interview!

    ReplyDelete